Sunday, October 14, 2007

Kuantan

After a long period of absence, I finally found the time to sit down and jot my thoughts again. Am in kuantan now, happily enjoying myself in the company of family and streamyx :)

I wanted to reflect on my obgyn posting for some time, but it was so hectic, I didn't have the time to do so. I've had my first on-call and well, it was tiring. I never knew I could survive staying up for so long. But it wasn't very favourable as there were only 3 patients and I couldn't deliver them. Next time :)

So far it's been a really rewarding experience to be in the obstetric ward because it's the week before raya, and all the mothers are either hoping their babies will be out or that they'll stay in ;) the ward was quite empty on friday when I went to take a look. It was a lazy day for all of us..

I find the process of labour even more scary now that I'm right there beside the mothers when they deliver. The ward is a happy one, with cries of babies, that actually go in succession like an orchestra- one starts, the other follows..All mothers who have delivered have this glow on their faces-- glow of motherhood maybe?- - as they look upon their child. I always wondered what crosses their minds as they look at their child. Reminded me of this verse:

"For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth.

From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb.I will ever praise you. "Psalm 71: 5-6

I had post-portfolio somnolence (translated as post-portfolio sleepiness) due to the late hours I had stayed up the previous days to finish it before friday. Ugh.. And I was still feeling drowsy from on-call.. sigh.. There were moments when we'd all be sleeping in the staff room, and the nurse would walk in and say "Post call kah?".. and we'd all just smile sleepily at her and someone would mumble "Yes.."... and then go back to sleep again.. How memorable ;) Looking forward to the coming on-calls we'll have in the labour room... Coffee anyone?

Everyone will probably be fighting for gynae cases now, because apparently women dun want to have surgery prior to raya ;) hehe.. that's our theory.. Time really flies by just like that. Already I'm in my 2nd posting, and well, after this one week break, there will be no holidays till study break/CNY for me. And then it'll be exit viva and hopefully, we'll all pass. I have this feeling of excitement, at the same time, fear over the months ahead.. What if I don't make it?

It's a depressing thought to be staying in BP for another 6 months, doing all that portfolio AGAIN.. UGH.. No time for that now.. back to work..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home