Living for eternity

Many times I think people are like the heart. When it is failing, it needs an electric shock to restart again.. sometimes, not once or twice, but many times before the electrical impulse goes back to normal and the heart is able to function properly again..
I had that electric impulse at dinner. It wasn't at 250Joules (J), but probably at 20J (the one we use as practice on the SIMman in university).. Firstly, I would like to acknowledge that I am truly blessed to have a father whom I can discuss God with. Not many have that opportunity. It was what we discussed about that actually probed my heart to share this, in the hopes that it will encourage everyone else..
We started off (my brother and I) about Harry Potter (HP). We were discussing about the 5th movie that would be hitting cinemas soon next year, rather excitedly. Now, we know that witchcraft and all is actually frowned upon by God biblically. But I confess that I am one of the few rebellious Christians who actually do read HP. However, I read it with an open mind and purely for entertainment purposes. I have no intention whatsoever of trying out the incantations, as I know, some of them are quite real. Despite my excuses, I know it is still wrong.
Anyways, dad heard us talking. And he decided to tell us indirectly, how he does NOT agree with us viewing or reading such books. Witchcraft, he says, nowadays, have been masked to actually seem like it's all okay. As in, we have pretty witches, good witches, handsome warlocks bla bla bla.. You get the drift. All indirectly saying witchcraft is good, and acceptable. Biblically, there is NO such thing as good witchcraft. Whatever the world may say, I think, God's word is the truth. So it is dangerous indeed for people who don't know.
That wasn't the core of what struck me. I had known that all along. But what struck me was when we discussed about hell.
Yes, the one place that we shun in discussions. Some people think it exists, some people don't, some people have varying ideas of what it may be like... I will never forget the words of my grandma one time when I was talking about heaven and hell with her in the comforts of our Kuantan home. She said simply that she would have company when she dies if she goes to hell, cause her friends will be there, thus I shouldn't worry about her. Her perception of hell is the typical chinese idea. That hell is a big building with many many levels in it. And people would go to different levels when they die according to how good or bad they were, and given a one month "break" a year. My expression may not have shown much, but I was stunned momentarily at her answer. Stunned, not because of her idea, but of fear for her life in eternity.
So, my understanding is, she thought it was a place where she could enjoy herself a bit, have tea with friends and all sorts of things, which is totally distorted from what the Bible paints of the real thing. Many people think of hell that way, or they choose to take eternity lightly. I felt cold fear thinking of how many people would suffer. Dad reminded bro and I, that God's judgement is perfect. Not like the judge system or courts we have here on earth where we can sometimes hold back evidence and make all sorts of excuses to win a case. Once we stand before God to be judged, there is no way the best lawyers on earth can even bail us out. And we would know it. God's justice is perfect.
"Zion will be redeemed with justice, her penitent ones with righteousness. But rebels and sinners will both be broken, and those who forsake the LORD will perish. " Isaiah 1:27-28
To satisfy my curiosity, I have actually tried looking up (on the surface)in the bible, the subject of hell. And lo and behold! I found a lot of things which gave me Godly fear.
"But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 8:12
Weeping and gnashing of teeth. This is not somewhat an expression of anger or hatred. It is an expression of sorrow, or deepest regret in the bible. Regret, not only for what they did in their earthly life, but for not obeying God ultimately. Surprise surprise. This phase did not appear once, but a number of times in the bible!
"They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:42
"This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 13:49-50
"The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 24:50-51
"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out."Luke 31:27-29
Actually, there is a lot more, but it's not the words that matters so much, but the meaning. The intensity of the sorrow and regret that is proclaimed over and over again makes me think more deeply about what I'm doing for eternity. It is a scary thought and REAL indeed.
However, God's word is full of hope and promises. I find my assurance in Him. Along with hope, faith, perseverance, strength, grace and wisdom to continue to run this race. I have shared this quote with a few people today from Hudson Taylor, a great missionary doctor to China, who once said : " Many Christians estimate difficulties in light of their own resources and thus attempt little and often fail. All of God's giants have been weak men who did great things for God because they reckoned on his power and his presence being with them." In other words, we can tackle the impossible with God by our side. This was from Jesus M.D, by David Stevens. It is a good book. Am truly encouraged by it!
" I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me." Proverbs 8:17
"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me." Psalm 13: 5-6
Have a blessed week!




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home