Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Inconsiderateness


Lately I have been more aware of a lot of people being inconsiderate towards other people's feelings and well-being. I realized that a lot of people take for granted that just because you are their friend, they can ask you to do anything for them, and you're obliged to do it because you are their "friend".

Some of the things that I have heard and experienced are really awful. Being students, we constantly face the pressure of trying to fit in, and blend in with society and our peers. Thankfully, I have never had to really put that as anywhere near my top 20 priorities in life. Being a strong headed person, I couldn't give two hoots about what people think about me, as long as it isn't something bad or degrading. For one thing, standing up to my own principles matters more to me than fitting into some outrageous crowd. And to me, doing the right thing is always best.

I have nothing against adolescents going pubbing or clubbing or enjoying themselves. I only stand on one principle and that is being a young adult, we are responsible for whatever we do. Period. So, if anyone decides to drink, get drunk, indulge in sexual immorality, take drugs or whatever, it is their responsibility. Why? Cause whatever they do to themselves, they will bear the consequences in the future, not me.

The person who drinks a bottle of acid, will feel the pain and burns. Not anyone else.

The inconsiderateness that I'm currently aware of is one where students forget others. Forget that their peers are students like themselves and that they are also depending on their parents for financial support. Whenever a student is being used by another e.g to pay for another's meal, it is not the student who is paying, but his/her parents. When I think about it, why SHOULD their parents pay for other people? What logic is that unless the other's parents are poor, financially bankrupt or in debt?

Money is a serious matter I suppose in a student's life. For one thing, most students have not started earning yet. Everything they have, comes from God and their parents. However, you'd be surprised at the amount of students who for some unknown reason ( maybe to try and save for their parents at the expense of OTHER parents..) make use of other people's "obligingness" to foot a lot of their things.. from meals to transport, without a single hint of gratitude. Some even complain that the car is going to break down, radio not working and some sit like they're being chauffeur-driven, and so on.

This is common in people yes. But the sad thing is..Christians are among some of the people who take advantage of others. If you want to think about disappointment, think about God's. When I reflect on all this, I wonder time and time again about where is consideration in this world today. I think it's near extinction, because despite all this, there are some whom I note are very fair and considerate towards other people's well-being. These people are the ones who will most probably go far in their life and career, I pray. My hope is that God will show me how to see people through His eyes. That despite all their inequities, God still loves everyone, and He wants us all to do the same.

Despite our hectic schedules, we must never take for granted the people around us, much less our families. Being a person of strong Christian values will certainly put us a cut above the rest, because in the end of the day, it is what is right in God's eyes that counts. Maybe not here on earth, but when we stand before God's throne on the Day of Judgement. I rest my case.

Though grace is shown to the wicked, they do not learn righteousness; even in a land of uprightness they go on doing evil and regard not the majesty of the LORD. Isaiah 26:10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home