Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Re-ignited

Being in the second day of my un-official posting with the nephro department in Kuantan Hospital has made me realize a few things:-

1) I have a long and hard path set before me because I chose medicine
2) If I don't want to be an incompetent and lousy doctor, I have to work hard NOW
3) I'm not going to consider doing housemanship in University Hosp, PJ anymore cause apparently housemen do errands more than managing patients because post grads touch patients, housemen are labourers-- even specialists don't like the housemen to interfere *gulp*
4) medicine is a never-ending process of learning and...
5) davidson is insufficient for post grad! wise are the people who invest in Kumar and Clark and Harrisons! ;)

Nephro has taught me a lot of things. I don't want to get kidney failure ever. It is not only pityful when one has to undergo dialysis, but also long-suffering. The staff are friendly, and a little disappointed that I am only here for 4 short days. I have learnt so much about the two small bean shaped organs in our posterior abdominals wall! And I also discovered that doctors don't like the nephro department in Kuantan cause they're very strict. They're probably cutting me some slack cause I'm the "KIV Doctor" to them :P Wonderful teachers..

I have learnt and seen continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis ( CAPD), continous cycle periotoneal dialysis (CCPD), learn about fistulae, hemodialysis, partially helped out in inserting and MAKING a internal jugular catheter (a surgical procedure, only done by long term, qualified MO's), talked to patients, re-learnt about electrolytes, investigation interpretation, management of kidney failure, and how dialysis machine works and COSTS. Did you know it costs RM 100, 000 for a machine? New model costs RM 120K. Patients pay like RM 3 to use it, but there is a long line. Made me appreciate the government a bit..

Most importantly, doing an unofficial posting alone, with completely newly acquainted, supposedly fierce and strict doctors and specialists has ignited a spark in me to work harder at being a good student doctor, and not just a medical student. Finally, I catch the light of what our dean has been trying to drill into our heads. In practice, we will forget 80% of what we cram into our heads in medical school.. What a waste of RM 270K :p

Being with renal patients has made me thankful and more appreciative of God's grace that has kept me healthy so far. There are so many young patients, my age, who have renal failure due to unknown reasons. Imagine being on dialysis every other two days, watching your blood leave your body and be filtered through a machine that keeps you alive; or on periotoneal dialysis which requires one to fix up those dialysate bags to themselves every 4 hours and meticulously jot down your fluid input and output and stuff. It's an awful experience, and there is no cure or reverse. Just down hill to renal failure, most of the time, especially in diabetic and hypertensive patients.

Thank God for opening my eyes and blessing me with the experience and knowledge I have gained in the last two days. Also reminded He is really watching over us :)

Therefore; HE WHO DWELLS IN THE SHELTER OF THE
MOST HIGH WILL REST IN THE SHADOW OF THE
ALMIGHTY. And; "BECAUSE HE LOVES ME," SAYS THE
LORD, "I WILL RESCUE HIM; I WILL PROTECT HIM, FOR
HE ACKNOWLEDGES MY NAME. HE WILL CALL UPON
ME, AND I WILL ANSWER HIM; I WILL BE WITH HIM IN
TROUBLE, I WILL DELIVER HIM AND HONOR HIM.
( PSALM 91:1 ) & ( PSALM 91:14-15 )

God bless! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home